Expert exposes why having ice in your drink at restaurants could make you ill

Expert exposes why having ice in your drink at restaurants could make you ill

A shocking new video has highlighted the potential health risks of having ice in our drinks in restaurants – showing the potential for harmful bacteria to infect us

There’s nothing quite as refreshing as an ice-cold glass of water or fizzy drink when you sit down for dinner at a restaurant.

But a new behind-the-scenes video of where our ice in restaurant drinks comes from might us think twice next time we order a coke.

An ice technician who inspects large-scale ice machines for a living has warned customers to opt out of having ice in their drink – because it could make them ill.

The TikToker @Jantheman____, who goes by the name ‘The Ice Man’, posted a video on the platform in which he filmed his inspection of the ice machine at a restaurant.

But the shocking footage won’t put prospective customers at ease – and may leave those of us who often have ice in our drinks feeling a tad queasy.

The grimy-looking machine has yellow-stained mould growing around the hinges.

The Ice Man says: “Let me tell you something real quick – a lot of times people go to restaurants, they get sick and they think it’s food poisoning or the food made them sick.

“Let me tell you this, there’s a chance that it’s the ice that got you sick.”

When he opens the machine’s water container, it reveals a scum floating on the top. Then he explains it’s that water that makes the ice.

“You can’t tell me that this water hasn’t given people the runs,” he says.

The Ice Man refers viewers to articles explaining that commercial ice is “dirty” so they can make an informed decision.

While there are plenty of harmful germs that can’t survive on ice, many nasty forms of bacteria can still grow easily in cold conditions.

Some bacteria you need to watch out for are: norovirus, E.coli, salmonella, hepatitis A and legionnaires disease.

fast-shopnet